Evidence suggests 'carelessness' in teen's death, man charged with manslaughter: police

A 21-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter for the shooting death of a 17-year-old girl that police say appears to have been caused by "carelessness."

Police say evidence suggests 'recklessness' was a factor in 17-year-old's death

A woman sitting.
Myah Larmond, 17, was shot to death early Wednesday morning while inside a home on St. Matthews Avenue in Hamilton. (Hamilton police)

A 21-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter for the shooting death of a 17-year-old girl that police say appears to have been caused by "carelessness."

After being shot inside a home on St. Matthews Avenue around 4 a.m., Myah Larmond died in hospital Wednesday morning. 

Detectives worked through the night and arrested the man near the home at 2:35 a.m. Thursday, according to a media release.

Davonte Skye-Davis has appeared in court and is charged with manslaughter, according to police.

"At this time, the evidence supports an element of carelessness and recklessness by the accused," stated the release. "There is currently no evidence to suggest the victim was the intended target."

Investigators have a warrant to search the home and will be working through the crime scene throughout the day and possibly into tomorrow.

The release adds that because charges are before the court police won't discuss any specific evidence connected to the case.

The gun used in the shooting still has not been recovered. Police are encouraging residents to "thoroughly search" their properties in case it's been hidden there.

Family 'distraught' after death

During an update at the scene Wednesday afternoon Det. Sgt. Steve Bereziuk said the teen's family was "extremely distraught," and "hysterical" following news of her death.

Larmond was a student with the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board (HWCDSB) and a spokesperson said staff would be contacting her family to offer support.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this very difficult time," wrote Marnie Jadon in an email to CBC.

The HWCDSB also offers the services of its compassionate care and crisis response team to staff and students "in cases of school or community tragedy," she added.

A police car on a street with crime scene tape.
The shooting happened on St. Matthews Avenue near Barton Street. The 17-year-old died in hospital Wednesday morning. (Dan Taekema/CBC)

Investigators initially said as many as five people were believed to have been inside the home when the shot was fired and that they were searching for two male suspects.

Anyone who was inside the home at the time of the shooting is asked to contact police.

Sue Cormier, who lives next to the house where the teen was shot, said she was awoken around 4 a.m. by people yelling "at the top of their lungs."

"At least three people just screaming out 'Oh my God, Oh my God,'" she said Wednesday, adding the teen killed in the shooting was "way too young to go."

Sue Cormier stands on her porch next to the open door of the house where the 17-year-old was found with a gunshot wound. (Dan Taekema/CBC)